Don’t wait for someone to bring you flowers. Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul.Luther Burbank
Just as the quote by Luther Burbank implies, one should take the initiative to make things happen. You will never know how beautiful your artwork will be until you start crafting it. This article focuses on a step-by-step guide to crafting your own clay art flower, which is perfect for beginners to get started in the field of clay art.
Materials needed for Clay Art Flower:
- 1 x Straw or 1 x Stick
- Clay Art Sculpting tools
Here are the steps to create your Clay Art Flower:
- Decide on the number of petals on the flower. (In this case, we chose 4)
- Pinch off a lump of clay and roll it into 4 balls.
- Use a rolling pin to roll a thin oval shape clay. (about 1 mm)
- At one end of the oval, pinch the edges to make it thinner. This thicker edge will be the base while the thinner edge will form the petals.
- Use the clay art sculpting tools to carve out lines on the ovals. This will define the petals of the flower.
- Repeat step 3 for all of the 4 balls.
- This step will require the straw/stick. Using the thicker edge of the oval, attach it onto the tip of the straw.
- Repeat step 7 for the rest of the petals. (ovals)
- Using a different coloured clay, roll a small round bead.
- Stick the bead on top of the 4 petals (oval). This forms the head of the flower (Centre).
- To make the petals more defined, use your fingers to mould the edges of the petals (make it thinner). This provides a more distinct oval-shape and helps breathe life to the clay art flower.
As the saying goes, “A craftsman knows in advance what the finished result will be, while the artist knows only what it will be when he has finished it.“
Be Bold and take the first step to explore the field of the arts. Clay art is really fun and enjoyable, and perfect to get yourself started in creating your own clay masterpieces.
Carpe Diem! Whether you’re a craftsman or an artist, you’ll only know once you get your hands active and busy and start creating your own clay art flower. So start working on your masterpiece today!
Discover more of Celine’s works on her Instagram and Facebook!